For over 36 years, The Learning Center has empowered adults for effective personal lives, productive employment, and positive contribution to the community. We fulfill this mission by providing free adult education classes to students who range in age from 17-75. We offer students opportunities to acquire knowledge in reading, writing, math, and the English language; to improve in the skills related to those subjects, as well as to connect those skills to their personal lives; and to grow in respect for themselves and their ability to realize their aspirations.
The Program Coordinator must possess a passion for and commitment to improving the lives and opportunities of adult learners from the North Lawndale and Little Village neighborhoods of Chicago. We are looking for an extremely self-motivated person to help support student programming and administration.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of The Learning Center, in conjunction with the Executive Director.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Welcome students, staff, visitors
• Serve as the go-to resource for students, teachers, board members, and volunteers
• Student files
• Student attendance
• Student data base: personal information and test scores
• Tutor database: personal information and volunteer hours
• Teacher database: information and work history
• Recruitment database
• Recruitment materials and mailings
• Donor database
• Security of files and equipment
• TABE/CASAS testing
• Design, implement, teach, and coordinate a curriculum for a career exploration class based on New Readers Press WorkWise series.
• Lessons on soft skills and career exploration competencies apply best practices in job acquisition and career planning, as well as critical thinking and interpersonal skills.
• Soft Skills: choosing a job, getting a job, starting a job
• Academic Skills: writing at work, math at work, reading at work
Communications and Outreach
• Web Site
• Social Media (Facebook, YouTube)
• Mail-Chimp Newsletter Campaigns
• Lead social media engagement to increase visibility and optimize online presence.
• Create new content and edit existing content across website and social media.
• Develop and maintain professional relationships with community-based organizations to ensure participants are connected to appropriate community resources.
• Attend partner meetings and trainings as a representative of TLC.
• Assist in researching, engaging and managing potential individual/corporate partnerships for donations, volunteer engagement opportunities, etc.
• Lead in the coordination and success of programming and projects:
• Health Literacy Project
• Navigation Online Resources for Adult Learners (NORAL) Project
• Nutrition Program
• Student testing
• Women’s Group
• Other projects and programs as needed
• Assist Executive Director to:
• Develop strategies for program/project growth and expansion
• Brainstorm and implement new strategies to improve recruitment and retention methods as well as increase numbers
• Assist in the recruiting, screening, interviewing and training of new volunteers
• Provide assistance and consultation for volunteers as needed and when requested
• Assist volunteers and office in completing of volunteer tracking hours
• Plan and conduct volunteer orientations and volunteer appreciation events.
• Purchase building supplies (i.e. toilet paper, cleaning solutions, etc.)
• Purchase food for student breakfasts and lunches
• Supervise student worker(s)
• Daily maintenance of the building/grounds
• Ad hoc tasks.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Communication, or Administration
• At least one year’s experience in an administrative, programming, or nonprofit role
• Experience working with a diverse population
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills are a MUST!
• Strong computer skills- MS Office and Google Office Apps especially
• Experience with QuickBooks
• Solid writing skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Must have access to a car
• Respectful and welcoming attitude
• Maturity and sensitivity to cultural and individual differences
• PROACTIVE self-starter
• Ability to efficiently multi-task calmly
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to go above and beyond without being asked to
• Ministerial approach
• Desire to get as much done in a day as possible
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs occasionally
If you can only focus on a single task, are unhelpful, unfriendly, detail hater who wants to surf the web all day, this job is not for you. The best way to describe the duties of the position would be “whatever it takes.”
This position is full-time, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Email cover letter and resume to:
Angelica Saucedo, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Program Coordinator Position
Deadline to submit cover letter and resume: Friday, February 07, 2020.