For over 36 years, The Learning Center has empowered adults for effective personal lives, productive employment, and positive contribution to the community by providing free adult education classes to residents from the North Lawndale and Little Village communities of Chicago.
The Learning Center is seeking a Program Coordinator who possesses a passion for and commitment to improving the lives and opportunities of adult learners from these neighborhoods. We are looking for an extremely self-motivated person to help support student programming and administration.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of The Learning Center and reports to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Welcome students, staff, and visitors.
• Serve as go-to resource for students, teachers, board members, and volunteers.
• Record maintenance of student files, student attendance, test scores, tutor database, recruitment
database, recruitment materials, donor database, and teacher database.
• Design, implement, teach, and coordinate a curriculum for a career exploration class.
• Manage website, social media accounts, newsletters, and mailings.
• Lead social media engagement to increase visibility and optimize online presence.
• Create new content and edit existing content across website and social media.
• Develop and maintain professional relationships with community-based organizations to ensure participants are connected to appropriate community resources.
• Attend partner meetings and trainings as a representative of TLC.
• Assist in researching, engaging and managing potential individual/corporate partnerships for
donations, volunteer engagement opportunities, etc.
• Lead in the coordination and success of programming and projects such as the Health Literacy Project,
Navigation Online Resources for Adult Learners (NORAL) Project, Nutrition Program, student testing, women’s group, and other projects and programs as needed.
• Assist in the recruiting, screening, interviewing and training of new volunteers.
• Provide assistance and consultation for volunteers as needed and when requested.
• Assist volunteers in completing tutor tracking sheets.
• Plan and conduct volunteer orientations and volunteer appreciation events.
• Purchase building supplies.
• Purchase food for student breakfasts and lunches.
• Supervise student worker(s).
• Supervise daily maintenance of the building/grounds.
• Assist Executive Director in developing strategies for program/project growth and expansion.
• Other duties as assigned.
The best way to describe the duties of the position would be “whatever it takes.”
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Communication, or Administration
• At least one year’s experience in an administrative, programming, or nonprofit role
• Experience working with a diverse population
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills are a MUST!
• Strong computer skills- MS Office and Google Office Apps especially
• Solid writing skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Must have access to a car
• A respectful and welcoming attitude
• Maturity and sensitivity to cultural and individual differences
• Proactive self-starter
• Ability to efficiently multi-task calmly
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to go above and beyond without being asked to
• Ministerial approach
• Desire to get as much done in a day as possible
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. occasionally
This position is full-time, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, including some evenings and weekends.
Salary: $35,000 plus PTO policy
Email cover letter and resume to:
Angelica Saucedo, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Program Coordinator Position
Deadline to submit cover letter and resume: February 16, 2020.